[Mimedefang] Your vendor has not defined Sys::Syslog macro _PATH_LOG

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Tue Jun 18 19:02:33 EDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Mike Batchelor wrote:

> Well that did the trick, however I built this perl on the same host where
> mimedefang is running.  This command:
>
> cd /usr/include ; find . -name \*.h -print |xargs grep _PATH_LOG
>
> ...returns nothing.  I run Solaris 7/sparc on my Ultra140.  I find no
> _PATH_LOG in Solaris 8, either.

Yeah, I checked a solaris 7 machine I have access to, I found two
syslog.h's, neither one had _PATH_LOG in it.

>  I don't think it's reasonable to use 'unix' as the default for
> syslogging.  But then, I find lots of unreasonable defaults in software
> that has appeared since Linux became prominent.  In many ways, trying to
> use Solaris in a Linux world is a lot like trying to use Linux in a
> Windows world.  Ironic, isn't it?

If I wasn't so tired right now I'd have a funny response to that...

Sys::Syslog actually uses inet as it's default.  Problem is that the
BSD-based syslogd that Slackware/RedHat/Debian/whoknowswhatelse uses
requires the -r switch to even have 'inet' capabilities (mind you, I
haven't checked lately - this may no longer be true).  This, I think
anyway, is a security measure.

Some kind of ifdef type thing should probably be added in there somewhere.
I'm sure David will figure something out <g>, especially now:

2002-05-22  David F. Skoll  <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>

        * We now have a Sparc/Solaris machine for development!  Thanks
        to Ben Kadish.

You could have a check against `uname` in mimedefang.pl (if $uname eq
'SunOS'...) or maybe even have configure look for _PATH_LOG in syslog.h
and set @SYSLOGTYPE@ or whatever.

  Jason

--
Jason Englander