[Mimedefang] Virus Scanner Output

Anthony Giggins agiggins at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 15 03:24:17 EDT 2002

Anyone looked into parsing the output of the virus scanner? I'm now
testing Trend and the output from it is terrible compared to that of the
NAI scanner.

Can anyone supply some tips to push me in the right direction?

Here is some sample output

Virus Scanner v3.1, VSAPI v5.500-0829
Trend Micro Inc. 1996,1997
	Pattern version 299
	Pattern number 46951
Configuration: -a -r -nl -c1 -c2 -u -s
	Work/msg-10894-12.txt

==============================
Directory:
	Searched : 0
File:
	Searched : 1
	    Scan : 1
	Infected : 0
	Infected : 0(Include files been compressed)
Time:
	Start : 6/15/02 17:15:44
	 Stop : 6/15/02 17:15:44
	 Used : 00:00
Virus Scanner v3.1, VSAPI v5.500-0829
Trend Micro Inc. 1996,1997
	Pattern version 299
	Pattern number 46951
Configuration: -a -r -nl -c1 -c2 -u -s
	Work/msg-10894-13.html

==============================
Directory:
	Searched : 0
File:
	Searched : 1
	    Scan : 1
	Infected : 0
	Infected : 0(Include files been compressed)
Time:
	Start : 6/15/02 17:15:44
	 Stop : 6/15/02 17:15:44
	 Used : 00:00
Virus Scanner v3.1, VSAPI v5.500-0829
Trend Micro Inc. 1996,1997
	Pattern version 299
	Pattern number 46951
Configuration: -a -r -nl -c1 -c2 -u -s
	Work/msg-10894-14.bin
*** Found virus Eicar_test_file in file
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-3D0AE99F-0/Work/msg-10894-14.bin

==============================
Directory:
	Searched : 0
File:
	Searched : 1
	    Scan : 1
	Infected : 1
	Infected : 1(Include files been compressed)
Time:
	Start : 6/15/02 17:15:45
	 Stop : 6/15/02 17:15:45
	 Used : 00:00

>From all that mess all I'd really want is

*** Found virus Eicar_test_file in file

This might also be nice on some of the other scanners because the end
user doesn't really need to know the directory name on the mail server
(ie. /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-3D0AE99F-0/Work/msg-10894-14.bin)