[Mimedefang] libsm.a and libsmutil.a

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ansf.alcatel.fr
Thu Jun 13 07:40:18 EDT 2002

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 07:28:50AM -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Andrey V. Pevnev wrote:
>
> >  >They are internal build libraries and not needed by anything else.
> >  >libmilter applications do not require them.
>
> I'll have to test it.  I can only test on Linux and Solaris, but I'll
> check.

I once saw something interesting about this topic in J-chkmail's
mailing-list (the post was from Jose : j-chkmail's author)

- before version 8.12, libmilter used the strlcpy function
strlcpy (part of libsmutil), hence the need of this lib for linking.

- in versions 8.12.0 et 8.12.1, the  sm_snprintf function was used
instead (defined in libsm).

- since version 8.12.2, sendmail uses the snprintf function defined
in the standard  libc...

so now (sendmail >= 8.12.2) these libs are not needed to compile
Milter appplications ...

best regards,

SL/
--
---
Stephane Lentz / Alcanet International - Internet Services