[Mimedefang] Sophie/MD Error in Messages log

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Tue Jun 11 13:57:07 EDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

> That shouldn't happen, because presumably mimedefang.pl will block on
> the Sophie socket until it gets an answer back.  I bet it's a permission
> problem and Sophie is returning a misleading error message
> ("not found" instead of "permission denied")

I can confirm that this is what it is...  I did it on purpose while I was
writing up the sophie support.

BTW, I highly suggest that everyone do something like this:

($code, $cat, $act) = message_contains_virus_sophie() if $Features{"Virus:SOPHIE"};
if ($cat eq "virus") {
  # quarantine it or whatever...
}
else {
  syslog("err", "Virus scanner error: $code $cat $act") if $cat ne "ok";
}

If you don't check $code or $cat, if sendmail and sophie can't talk to
each other via the socket, that would be the same as a general "OK"
status.

ie.

if (message_contains_virus_sophie()) {
  # here the message is infected
}
else {
  # here, either the message is clean, or sendmail can't talk
  # to sophie (or... ?)
}

--
Jason Englander