[Mimedefang] Easy way to tell message is sent from local machine?

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Fri Jun 7 13:31:58 EDT 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Nate Carlson wrote:
> Yeah, that'll work great for known IP's.
>
> One problem is that I have a ton of dialup users authenticating via
> sendmail and then sending out.. I can't add all their IP's (I have no
> idea where they will be coming from), but is there a way in MimeDefang
> to tell if the user has authenticated to Sendmail? Not even sure is
> Sendmail passes this info, but hey, it's worth a shot.  :)

Hmm.. I was thinking possibly use the 'Received' headers, but that's
obviously not gonna work, since Sendmail doesn't add them on until after
the message is done in Milter (right?).

If Milter does pass the info in some format, it'd be nice to get a
variable in Mimedefang called '$isAuthenticated' or something similar that
we could run checks on.

If it's not possible, I'll just set up Sendmail to add a very specific
hostname onto unqualified messages, and then filter on a combination of
from addresses and the IP's that I know for sure.. not perfect, but that's
life.