[Mimedefang] Can mimedefang be used with exim?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jul 16 10:47:00 EDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, [ISO-8859-15] Jorge Nerín wrote:

> AFAIK milter is an extension of sendmail, so it seems to rule out exim,
> but I have just read something about milter being able to listen to a
> tcp port, so it seems to bring ligth to this subject, but I'm not sure
> of how much ;) does some of you know if this can be done?

In theory, you could integrate milter with any MTA -- it's open source.
In practice, it's a huge pain, and a lot of milter functions (eg,
smfi_getsymval()) are sendmail-specific.

You may have better like integrating at the mimedefang-multiplexor level.
The file-based protocol is documented in the mimedefang-protocol(7) man
page, and the commands to/from the multiplexor are very simple (not
documented, but read utils.c)