[Mimedefang] sizing of box

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jul 12 15:02:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Ole Michaelsen wrote:

> I started a thread in comp.mail.sendmail about the sizing of a
> Mimedefang/SpamAssassin box, and got some good answers from various
> people.

Another data point: A large computer manufacturer is using twelve PC's
running Linux (not sure of the configuration, but I'd imagine high-end:
at least 1GHz and 512MB of RAM) to scan 1 million messages per day.
So it looks like a high-end PC should handle around 80K messages/day.

An idea I've been mulling over: When all slaves are busy, I was
thinking of having MIMEDefang queue the message for later scanning
instead of tempfailing it.

When the multiplexor notices a certain number of free slaves, it wakes
up a background queue processor which sends the message for scanning.
If done right, this could allow you to handle messages spikes quite
nicely.  There are a couple of nice things I could do: The queue
processor would naturally serialize message scanning, and it could be
woken and stopped as the multiplexor observes the system load.  Any
comments?