[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang installed but not working ;(

Jon Kenoyer jonk at otsiweb.com
Thu Jul 11 11:34:00 EDT 2002

Complete freeBsd noob here!  Sorry for the long post but I am trying to
give all the information I can.
Platform : FreeBSD 4.6
Sendmail sendmail-8.12.5
Various other programs (Milter,spamassassin etc)
I followed all the steps but while MIMEDefang seems to be running it
isn't scanning incoming messages.
The sendmail box is a e-mail relay.  It forwards all messages to an
internal exchange box.
The ruleset for MIMEDefang seems to be ok
Here are some possible issues
The example sartup script was for redhat.  I tried to modify it for
freebsd by placing the below script into rc.sendmail.  However I
couldn't figure out how to launch a program as a dameon so was hoping
just launching it ($MULTIPLEX -x $MAX_SLAVES \ line) would work.
When I run the script sendmail gives several warnings it needs to be
compiled with the -DMILTER flag in order to use external milter tags.  I
believe I have as I put the below in my m4 file and compiled.  Are these
warnings just that?
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DMILTER')
APPENDDEF(`conf_libmilter_ENVDEF', `-D_FFR_MILTER_ROOT_UNSAFE')
When I was attempting to make the MIMEDefang program I got an error in
mimedefang-multiplexor.c that the RLIMIT_ function could not be found.
I replaced all instances with RLIMIT_DATA per a deja post and that
seemed to work, but now the mailog file says that the MIMEDefang
multiplexor does not have permission to set the RLIMIT_DATA.  Is this a
program halting error or is MIME just complaining and then moving on?
The md-stat file just has a few entries along the lines of-
10/07/2002:16:20:02 1026343202.919 StartSlave slave=1 nslaves=2 nbusy=0
reason="Bringing slaves up to minSlaves"

#rs.sendmail script
# Defaults if not set in /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang
    MAX_SLAVES=10
    MIN_SLAVES=2
    BUSY_TIMEOUT=30
    IDLE_TIMEOUT=300
# Uncomment next line to log stats
 STATS_LOG="-t /var/log/md-stats"
# Uncomment next line to enable relay check
    RELAY_CHECK=-r

    # Uncomment next line to enable sender check
    SENDER_CHECK=-s

#added function

start_Defang()
{
# Source MIMEDefang configuration
    if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang ] ; then
            . /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang
    fi
MIMEDEFANG=/usr/local/bin/mimedefang
    MULTIPLEX=/usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor

    [ -x $MIMEDEFANG ] || exit 1
    [ -x $MULTIPLEX  ] || exit 1

rm -f /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
rm -f /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock
            rm -f /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-mx.sock
# Start multiplexor
            echo -n "Starting mimedefang-multiplexor: "
            $MULTIPLEX -x $MAX_SLAVES \
                -m $MIN_SLAVES \
                -b $BUSY_TIMEOUT \
                -i $IDLE_TIMEOUT \
                $DO_LOGGING $STATS_LOG $FLUSH_STATS \
                -s /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-mx.sock -p
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-mx.pid -U defang
            RETVAL=$?
            echo ""
            [ $RETVAL -ne 0 ] && exit 1

            echo -n "Starting mimedefang: "
            $MIMEDEFANG -m /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-mx.sock \
                -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock $SENDER_CHECK
$RELAY_CHECK \
                -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.pid -U defang
            RETVAL=$?
            echo ""
           [ $RETVAL -ne 0 ] && exit 1

}