[Mimedefang] Performance Tweaking

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jul 9 17:47:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Fox, Randy wrote:

> We have recently added a process that sends out 10's of thousands of
> messages in a rather short period to our customers.

This is a special situation which requires special handling.

Are the messages identical?  If so, you'd be *much* better off letting
Sendmail handle the list explosion -- create an alias on the sendmail
machine which expands (via an :include: alias) to your customers.  That
way, MIMEDefang scans the message only once, regardless of how many
copies get sent out.

Make sure outsiders cannot mail to that alias!  (You can do this with
filter rules.)

If the messages are not identical, then you're better off dedicating a
machine to that outgoing mail and not running MIMEDefang on that machine.
Alternatively, run another Sendmail on a different port from 25, and don't
use MIMEDefang with that Sendmail instance.
(I assume you can control what you send out, so you shouldn't need to scan
these messages. :-))