[Mimedefang] Broken Pipe in Milter?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat Jul 6 14:24:00 EDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 Dale_Whiteaker-Lewis at Dell.com wrote:

> Did anyone ever solve the problem with the following error, mentioned in
> http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2002-February/000405.html?
> I'm desparately trying to solve the same problem for my large company, it's
> only happening on one machine.  I'm running RH 7.3 and MD 2.5, Sendmail
> 8.12.1

Upgrade your sendmail -- all versions prior to 8.12.3 (I think) have buggy
milter implementations.  The latest version is 8.12.5.  Be sure to rebuild
MIMEDefang against the latest libmilter, too.

Also, some of these "broken pipe" messages are normal.  Often, if the
peer times out or breaks the SMTP connection, you'll get the message.
So if it happens once in a while, it's probably OK.  If it happens a lot,
there's a problem.