[Mimedefang] Mimedefang-multiplexor and working directories

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Jan 4 17:48:58 EST 2002

"David F. Skoll" wrote:

> If you are seeing mdefang-* directories hanging around, it's a bug.  I
> will have to figure out how to reproduce the problem.

    NOW you tell us?  <grin>  I just had to kill one of my mail servers on
Tuesday because it got overloaded with MD processes (which effectively
instructs sendmail to stop receiving mail, so a backup server starts
spooling).  When I dug a bit deeper, I found a ton of mdefang-* directories
floating around in /var/spool/MIMEDefang, some that were several days, even
weeks old.  After nuking them all and cleaning up the spool, I was able to
get everything back up and running where mail was getting delivered again.

    However, this whole ordeal prompted something else and I just forgot to
ask...

    Right now, if sender X sends an attachment to let's say four different
recipients on our domain, MD will create four different instances of that
attachment for those four recipients to go grab (I have MD setup to dump
attachments to an internal web server).  Is it possible to have MD create
only one instance of that attachment?  I suppose this means it has to be
able to keep track of what's there already, and keep some sort of checksum
of these files...  Possible?  Doable?

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.