[Mimedefang] NAI uvscan DAT-update

Karel.DeBruyne dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
Tue Jan 29 08:35:44 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>
> > Other then that you could put a rule in that filters the subject of this
> > virus until the 4184 DAT is released but it is a fairly generic subject
> > and many harmless messages may be blocked.
>
> You should be blocking .com attachments.  A few of my clients' setups
> have already blocked this virus without using any virus scanners.

Yes, I know this is your idea of security :-)

I am doing this with vbs, shs, vxd and pif but bat, com and exe are too
often used (you know these stupid jokes sent around), and I'd get a lot of
angry phone calls...

My users are scientists, very sensitive about their "academic freedom"
which means they think they're clever enough to decide for themselves
what to do with such an attachement but they're not clever enough to
solve their virus problems %$%#&@#!!!

It's very delicate!

Karel
Karel De Bruyne
System/Network Manager                      phone      + 32 3 820 22 04
UIA - Network Service                       fax        + 32 71 83 43 00
Universiteitsplein 1 - B0.12                email  dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
B 2610 Wilrijk - Belgium              http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/dbruyne