[Mimedefang] Sendmail loop?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat Jan 26 22:37:18 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Alan Madill wrote:

> Perhaps someone with more sendmail knowledge than I have can
> help me.  When a virus with a bogus address arrives the warning
> message reply bounces.  It then gets resent.  I think MimeDefang or
> sndmail is sending it with service unavailable status which causes
> the sender to keep trying.

This is almost always because of a misconfigured Sendmail setup.
Make sure your "postmaster" alias points to a real, deliverable, local
mail box.  Make sure your DNS setup is correct.

> Jan 26 15:36:20 sawdust sendmail[27406]: g0QNaKw27406: Losing
> ./qfg0QNaKw27406: savemail panic

You should have a file in your mail queue called Qfg0QNaKw27406 (note
the capital Q).  Reading this file may help diagnose the problem.
For every "savemail panic" message, you'll end up with one of these
Q files, so you want to solve the problem fairly quickly.