[Mimedefang] action_wrap_header

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Wed Jan 23 16:13:57 EST 2002

On Wed Jan 23 2002 at 13:19, "David F. Skoll" wrote:

> > All of this is assuming that the header is even an appropriate place to
> > put such a potentially large amount of information. :)  Is there a
> > specified limit on the total length of the headers?
>
> I do not know.  (It would be an interesting test to see which mail
> clients break...)

Take heed... yes, there are limits on header line lengths.  From
rfc2822...

2.1.1. Line Length Limits

   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
   characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
   998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
   the CRLF.

[ ... ]

RFC 2822 (April 2001) *obseletes* RFC 822.

  (This issue is something that has recently hit me in the face.  I
  have been forced to upgrade to sendmail 8.12.x because it is the
  first version to be able to cope with some of the new standards.
  eg, coping with remote MX servers that have imposed limits on the
  number of recipients per message).

> I prefer another poster's approach of putting the
> report in a separate attachment, but I will add your function so the
> end user can choose.  Choice is good.

The header option is good, having the choice is even better :-)

Cheers
Tony