[Mimedefang] (no subject)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jan 22 08:41:02 EST 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Karel.DeBruyne wrote:

> These are the parameters I'm using to start the multiplexor:
> MAX_SLAVES=25
> MIN_SLAVES=5
> BUSY_TIMEOUT=30
> IDLE_TIMEOUT=300

> Are these settings reasonable for a mailserver processing +-15000
> mails/day ?

I think so.  I think MIN_SLAVES may even be a bit high; I'm sure 2 or
3 slaves could handle most of the traffic.  We'll know better when I implement
statistics-gathering for 2.4. :-)

> mimedefang[19762]: Error from multiplexor: error: Error talking to slave process

> >From the sources, I found out this message means there was am
> EVENT_TCP_FLAG_TIMEOUT or an EVENT_TCP_FLAG_IOERROR

> Is it reasonable to conclude there was a timeout, and should I modify the
> startup-parameters ?

That particular timeout is the timeout to write a command from the multiplexor
to a slave, and is currently 10 seconds.  It is not parameterized in my
sample startup scripts, but you can increase it with the "-c" option.
For example:

mimedefang-multiplexor ... -c 30 ...

If you increase that timeout, you should also increase BUSY_TIMEOUT to a
couple of minutes.