[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.3 Beta 5

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Jan 17 20:28:48 EST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Nels Lindquist wrote:

> Is it just me, or have we lost the contents of $VirusScannerMessages
> somewhere along the way?  Viruses are detected and quarantined, but
> no output from the virus scanner is returned.

Oops, sorry, that was a typo on my part.

In mimedefang.pl.in, in "sub run_virus_scanner", just after:

	close(SCANNER);                        (around line 1515)

add:

	$VirusScannerMessages .= $msg;

and do the old ./configure; make install dance.

It will be fixed in the next release.

> On to SpamAssassin.  After fixing the SA bug on my production server,
> the only problems I've run into were caused by messages with large
> attachments (say, several MB or more) which results in a tempfail for
> those messages.  I noticed in the documentation for spamd that by
> default it doesn't process messages which exceed 250KB in size. (Such
> messages are exceedingly unlikely to be spam anyway.)

I find SpamAssassin extremely slow, so it may be a good idea to
not scan large messages.  However, if you want to scan them, just
increase the timeouts (both in mimedefang-multiplexor and milter.)

> I've set up a check for this in my mimedefang-filter file, but
> perhaps it would be better handled within the spam_assassin*
> functions themselves?

I'd rather leave it in the filter.  Just stat ./INPUTMSG and if the size
exceeds a threshold, don't call spam_assassin*:

	if ((-s "./INPUTMSG") <= (500 * 1024)) {
		# Do the spam assassin stuff
        } else {
		action_add_header("X-Spam-Warning",
			"Messages over 500K not checked");