[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.3 Beta 5

Jeff Heinen jeff.heinen at inherent.com
Thu Jan 17 19:45:32 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Nels Lindquist [mailto:nlindq at maei.ca]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 4:11 PM

On to SpamAssassin.  After fixing the SA bug on my production server,
the only problems I've run into were caused by messages with large
attachments (say, several MB or more) which results in a tempfail for
those messages.  I noticed in the documentation for spamd that by
default it doesn't process messages which exceed 250KB in size. (Such
messages are exceedingly unlikely to be spam anyway.)

I've set up a check for this in my mimedefang-filter file, but
perhaps it would be better handled within the spam_assassin*
functions themselves?  I'll code up some proposed changes if anyone
thinks this might be generally useful.

---

I'd like to see that, I'd think letting overly large messages slide might
help quite a few people. However, I would rather see it stay in the
mimedefang-filter file. For me, it would be easier to skip the over block of
SA checking/header rewriting code, instead of having to check the output of
whichever SA procedure you call. It also makes it more visible for later
postmasters, they would see in the filter which messages are being ignored
and can adjust it there if the mail servers are moved to better boxes.