[Mimedefang] Milter timeouts with SpamAssassin

Bill Randle billr at outlawnet.com
Mon Jan 14 14:56:27 EST 2002

David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Nels Lindquist wrote:
>

>>I've been testing the SpamAssassin integration with MIMEDefang for
>>the past couple of weeks, and I finally decided to try v2.3-BETA-3 on
>>a production (but low traffic) mail server over the weekend to see
>>how things would go.
>>

>>Everything worked fine for about eight hours, and then MIMEDefang
>>started timing out on pretty much every message:
>>

> That's really bad.  I'm coming to the conclusion that either
> SpamAssassin is not ready for prime-time, or there's something wrong
> with the way it's integrated into MIMEDefang.  OTOH,
> lists.roaringpenguin.com has been using it for weeks now without
> problems.

I had timeout problems for awhile on our mailserver. It mainly happened
when SpamAssassin was checking a large attachment. I then noticed the
default value for BUSY_TIMEOUT in the example redhat startup script
was set to 30 (seconds). I increased it to 120 and haven't had any
timeout problems since then.

	-Bill Randle
	Postmaster
	OutlawNet, Inc.