[Mimedefang] Mimedefang crash (fwd)

Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be
Thu Feb 28 10:14:41 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me what might cause this ?
>
> > > Feb 28 09:41:35 hgems mimedefang[7565]: Error from multiplexor: error:
> > > Unable to activate slave
>
> Was there no other related message in the log?  Try giving the "-l"
> option to mimedefang-multiplexor.

no, just a few of these messages.
Does this -l option generate a lot of additional log ? My mail server is
very busy!!!

> A slave's activation can fail if:
>
> - pipe fails (usually out of file descriptors)
> - fork fails (out of memory or process table full)
> - execl fails (very unlikely -- means mimedefang.pl could not be executed
>
> From your other postings, it sounds like your machine is severely
> over-stressed, or there is an OS bug causing resource leaks.  How many
> concurrent mimedefang.pl's do you usually see?  Do you get similar
> errors on other hardware?

I usually see between 5 and 10 mimedefang.pl's. I'm using uvscan to scan
each message.
However, the system is running a (mandatory) proxy server too. This is
giving me a heavy load.

And no, it's just mimedefang that's giving me headaches :-)

Karel

> Regards,
>
> David.

Karel De Bruyne
System/Network Manager                      phone      + 32 3 820 22 04
UIA - Network Service                       fax        + 32 71 83 43 00
Universiteitsplein 1 - B0.12                email  dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
B 2610 Wilrijk - Belgium              http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/dbruyne