[Mimedefang] Mimedefang crash (fwd)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Feb 28 09:10:08 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what might cause this ?

> > Feb 28 09:41:35 hgems mimedefang[7565]: Error from multiplexor: error:
> > Unable to activate slave

Was there no other related message in the log?  Try giving the "-l"
option to mimedefang-multiplexor.

A slave's activation can fail if:

- pipe fails (usually out of file descriptors)
- fork fails (out of memory or process table full)
- execl fails (very unlikely -- means mimedefang.pl could not be executed

>From your other postings, it sounds like your machine is severely
over-stressed, or there is an OS bug causing resource leaks.  How many
concurrent mimedefang.pl's do you usually see?  Do you get similar
errors on other hardware?