[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.5 startup-only error message

Vincent Jaussaud tatooin at kelkoo.com
Tue Feb 19 06:08:06 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 21:25, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2002, Vincent Jaussaud wrote:
>
> > I've just upgraded to MIMEDefang v2.5, and I now see the following error
> > message in my logfiles.
> > However, this error is only reported when the first thread comes up.
> > (see below)
> > Other threads don't report any errors.
>
> Weird.  The redefined subroutine messages is a glitch in Perl 5.005
> on Linux.  I get those too.
>
> > Also, in the filter_begin code, you recommend to add:
> >     action_rebuild();
>
> > I'm not sure to understand... Why do we need to rebuild every messages,
> > since mails will suspicious chars in headers are already discarded ?
>
> There are other ways to mangle MIME (like adding two "name=foo" sections
> in the Content-Description: header) which could cause problems.  So
> it's best to rebuild the messages always.

Ok. But I'm wondering about the additional load due to the
action_rebuild().
My mail server is receiving around 150 000 mails a week, and sending
around 500 000 in the same time.
Until now, Sendmail+MIMEDefang worked like a dream, even with so many
emails processed (the only cpu load I had was due to Syslog activity :-)
).Machine is 512 Mb RAM / Athlon 1.1 GHz.

But I fear that rebuilding so many emails might be too much.

Any advices ?

Regards,
Vincent Jaussaud