[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.4 RELEASED -- workaround for Outlook bug

Tony Nugent tony at growzone.com.au
Fri Feb 15 19:00:03 EST 2002

On Fri Feb 15 2002 at 16:05, "David F. Skoll" wrote:

> I didn't want to release 2.4 yet, but the MS Outlook bug forced by
> hand.  This release of MIMEDefang simulates Outlook's buggy
> interpretation of MIME headers.  If you are protecting Outlook
> clients, you are strongly urged to upgrade.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Hmm, I need to do that then.

David, are there any other new or changed features in this version
that we need to be aware of?

I've seen several emails that looked very strange, with the body of
a uuencoded/base64 message appearing to start in the Subject: line,
or similar.  This could explain what was going on.

  Totally OffTopic... microsoft have gone right out their way to do
  things in their own way and done it very carelessly.  They are
  making billions by forcing people (who know no better and/or don't
  care) to use such a sh*tty OS.  The only thing going for it is its
  rather cleaver - but limiting - "iron curtain" user interface,
  what is behind that curtain is utter garbage.  Personally I have
  never used m$ seriously (been using linux since '94), but because
  it is so ubiquious there is no escape.  For all the billions
  b.gates and friends have sucked out of the IT industry, they are
  contributing very little to its growth and development.  MM (mass
  mailer) viruses are one example - they have managed to cause
  massive internet pollution (heh, they failed miserably to take
  control of it, so now they don't seem to care less if they make it
  unusable).  All they are doing for me is creating problems (such
  as viruses and network.vbs-like attacks) that I'd rather not have
  to deal with... every firewall I build has ports 137:139 blocked
  for security reasons.  My dream is for m$ to fade away and die a
  painful death; heh, unfortunately that won't happen too soon.

  There now, I feel better with all that off my chest :-)

Cheers
Tony