[Mimedefang] CA InoculateIT antivirus compatibility

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Feb 4 19:28:49 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> It would
> be helpful if you listed supported antivirus software under prerequisites
> on http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/ as well as in the README.

Oh, that's easy.

I do not support any anti-virus software.  I think the whole anti-virus
software industry is a big scam. :-)

That being said, I *did* include code in mimedefang.pl for some popular
anti-virus scanners.  All of this code was contributed by others; I do
not use it myself.

If you want to add your favourite scanner, just look at mimedefang.pl.in
and follow the examples.

As an example, take the NAI scanner.  There are three functions:

message_contains_virus_nai: Scan all of the parts.
entity_contains_virus_nai: Scan a specific part.
interpret_nai_code: Interpret the exit code of the NAI scanner.

To add scanner FOO, just write message_contains_virus_FOO,
entity_contains_virus_FOO, and interpret_FOO_code.  It would also be
helpful to edit configure.in to detect the FOO scanner.  You can generally
figure out what changes to make by looking at one of the other sets of
virus-scanner functions.