[Mimedefang] Relayed through...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sun Dec 15 16:23:01 EST 2002

    I'm faced with a bit of a problem here with two large domains,
namely amazon.com and ebay.com/paypal.com.  Let starts with Amazon
first:  When I send say a 10% discount to someone else, Amazon will
create a message with my From: address to the recipient's address and
said message will get relayed through their servers.  However, MD, or
more precise, SpamAssassin will block such messages due to several spam
rules being matched.  Essentially the same thing happens with eBay as
well.  When you win an auction on eBay, PayPal will send you an email
with the From: address being the address of the person that held the
auction and it gets relayed through their servers.  Once again,
SpamAssassin will dutifully block these messages because of spam rules
being matched again.  (With eBay it's even humorous.  The message
subject will say 'Congratulations, you have won [whatever auction]' -
and SpamAssassin translates that into 'Congratulations, you have been
scammed!' - quite funny.)

    So my question is this, is there some way in MD that I can somehow
"approve" these messages and bypass SpamAssassin all together?  Maybe by
looking at the relay from address/IP and let it through?  I'm not aware
of any of these two domains being used as a spam relay in the past, so I
can't think of any reason not to do that.