[Mimedefang] filter_relay, SendmailMacros & SA questions :)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat Dec 28 11:30:00 EST 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Vincent Jaussaud wrote:

> At first, I was thinking to use %SendmailMacros, so that clients who
> get authenticated would not pass through RBLs checks. But these
> macros arn't available in filter_relay; I'm not sure to understand
> why btw.

No particular reason, other than efficiency.  If you need this
capability, don't do the relay check in filter_relay, filter_sender
or filter_recipient; do it in filter_end.  It's more expensive,
because that only happens after the whole message is received, but it works.

> Also, in my filter ($$$$) routine, I'm checking mails for SPAM using SA:

Don't do that; do the SA check in filter_end.  See the sample filter.

> I could check for SPAM in filter_end () rather than in filter
> ($$$$), but since in the man pages, it is mentioned that
> action_bounce cannot be used in filter_end, I don't know how to deal
> with this. :-\

Where does it say that in the man page?  You can use action_bounce in filter,
filter_begin or filter_end.

> I also would like to add an header (only once) for emails found
> clean by SA, with their respective $hits. (This would help tuning
> the score settings of SA)

Do it in filter_end; see sample filter.