[Mimedefang] Re: Need to run /usr/sbin/makemap from my filter

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Thu Dec 26 16:33:01 EST 2002

* David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> [2002-12-26T13:15-0800]:
> This probably has to be done as root, so a naive:
>
> 	system('/usr/sbin/makemap hash access.db < access');

access.db creates an access.db.db file, which is usually not what one
wants.  :)

    system('/usr/sbin/makemap hash access < access');

Yes, it looks redundant, but it's not.  The first argument to makemap
will either create an access.db file or access.{dir,pag} files
depending on the hash type in question.

A chdir into /etc/mail will also likely be required, or additional
mucking with the makemap command.  (Ick!)

> Be aware that this could be used in a DoS attack.  If some malicious person
> wants to get his ISP's mail server banned from your server, he just needs
> to send mail to nonexistent accounts through the ISP's server until he
> stops receiving failure notifications, or the notification text changes
> to indicate a banned relay.

Spam from the various yahoo, hotmail, and etc. sites come to mind...

--
Jeremy Mates                                        http://www.sial.org/