[Mimedefang] Missing Web Attachments

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 13 09:02:02 EST 2002

>From: "Albert E. Whale" <aewhale at abs-comptech.com>
>
>Hmm, looks like I missed this piece of data on the attachment's Defang
>Warning:
>
>  An attachment named Yahoo!.url was removed from this document as it
>constituted a security hazard.  If you require this document, please
>contact
>the sender and arrange an alternate means of receiving it.
>
>I believe that this message was mangled because the .url was mentioned in
>the
>'Default' Windoze Minimum Bad_Extension Definition.
>
>While I did not write the Bad_Ext, I don't understand the 'danger' of
>transmitting the *.url files to unwitting Windoze users.  What are these
>file
>types?

Keep in mind that more recent versions of Outlook produce the same
behaviour.  If this is the only person using Outlook 2000 (with security
patches) or Outlook XP/2002 then that may the source of your real problem.

URL files are shortcuts to, possibly, web pages.  They could be shortcuts to
other things too AFAIK.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?