[Mimedefang] putc failed: Error 0 line 848 - revisited

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Wed Dec 11 10:08:01 EST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za wrote:

> I'm running:
>      Solaris 8 Sparc
>      GCC 3.2 (from www.sunfreeware.com)
>      MIMEDefang-2.28-BETA-2.

   Oops.  On my Solaris machine, I am running an older version of MD
(2.17) and it doesn't have the same code.

> Here is a simple test - create a file with a char(255) & mail it:
> $ printf "The 0xff char is seen as EOF, here it is >\377< it breaks putc\n"
> > /tmp/sample
> $ mailx -v -s "sample" user at md-gateway.com < /tmp/sample

   It went through, but again, I am running an older version of MD on this
machine.

> You can also look at the assembler code by using "gcc -g -O2 -s"
>         cmp     %o1, 255                 ; should be cmp   %o1,-1

   OK, I did a test build of the latest MD (2.28-beta-2) and I got the
same result.

> If you compile with gcc -O1 (or use Sun Forte 7), the assembler code is
> correct.

   Yep, same here too (with gcc -O1, I don't have Sun Forte 7).

   Is this a Solaris problem, or a gcc problem?  David, any thoughts as to
a permanent workaround?

Jim