[Mimedefang] Virus that apparently "slips through" actually doesn't.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat Dec 7 09:51:00 EST 2002

Hi,

> Attach is a tar ball, which include the log of the rejected and not
> rejected mails.

OK, it's obvious to me why the virus "slips through".  Yahoo's error message
looks something like this:

Message from  yahoo.com.

Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
	rcj at christel.org>:
	212.63.143.18 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 Virus  found in mail - rejected

--- Original message follows.

... etc.

The failure message is not a MIME message, and the original message
is just "pasted in" as text.  MIMEDefang, of course, sees no attachments
at all and treats it as a big text message.  If your mail reader unpacks
it into MIME parts, then your mail reader is broken.  Any mail reader should
simply see it as a big text message.