[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.28-BETA-1 (and earlier) build issues

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Dec 5 08:29:01 EST 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Potterveld wrote:

> The first issue is autodetection of the "-pthread" compiler switch. To select
> "cc" as opposed to "gcc", which I also have, I should be able to set
> the environment variable "CC" to "cc". When I do this, the configure script
> fails to find and use "-pthread" when building the makefile. The workaround
> is to use "cc -pthread" for the environment variable.

Unfortunately, you'll have to stick with this workaround.  Some non-gcc
compilers accept "-pthread", but interpret it completely differently,
resulting in broken compilation.  There is no safe way to test if a non-gcc
compiler will accept -pthread and work correctly.  I will document this.

> The second issue is that "mimedefang-multiplexor" requires linking to
> libmilter and libsm on this platform, just like "mimedefang",

Really??  What functions are missing?  I'm guessing snprintf and friends...
I will add a test for this.