[Mimedefang] Size and scaling questions

Clayton, Nik [IT] nik.clayton at citigroup.com
Mon Dec 2 11:54:01 EST 2002

> > Broadly speaking, a 4GB 4CPU E420 with Sendmail, MIMEDefang, and
> > SpamAssassin will max out at around 5.5 messages a second.  By that
> > I mean that the load hits 32, which seems like a reasonable
> ceiling to
> > use.
>
> Really?  My $499 (Canadian!) el-cheapo AMD Duron test box with 128MB
> of RAM maxes out at around 2.2 messages/second.  Admittedly, the test
> scenario is somewhat unrealistic -- another fast machine on a fast LAN
> sending directly to the Duron -- but still, the difference between it
> and your Sun is surprisingly small.

A chunk of that is probably because this is with older versions of both
MD and SA, and their code bases have improved from a performance
perspective.  The process for testing new versions prior to deployment
takes some time here :-)

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
  -- The 75 column-ometer
                                             Contributing to the heat death
Global Messaging, 120 Cheapside, x83331      of the universe since 1973.