[Mimedefang] Trying to install mimedefang...had two questions

Fox, Randy Randy_Fox at csgsystems.com
Fri Aug 30 12:48:01 EDT 2002

> - I'm looking for a pre-written mimedefang-filter as a starting point. I
> think I'd like something like the one for Windows users in the /example
> directory, but we have Mac users as well. I'd especially like to be able to
> filter out Mac executable attachments...can this be done with mimedefang?

Can't help with Mac specific stuff but the sample Windows script will be a very good start.

> - I'd also like to test mimedefang on a mailbox or two before turning it on
> server-wide on our production machine. Unfortunately, I don't have a test
> mail server set up. Can I call mimedefang via procmail and is this a big
> performance hit?

Because it links into sendmail, you can't test with only a few users.  It's all or nothing.  It also doesn't work with procmail.  If you can't use a test box first, here's a crude suggestion.... open 2 windows to your server, one monitoring the mail log with tail -f.  In the other window, have two sendmail.cf files, for example, sendmail.cf.milter for the one with milter configured to call mimedefang.  Start the multiplexor and and mimedefang.pl.  Kill the sendmail process and immediately start it back up but use the milter configuration, /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -C/etc/mail/sendmail.cf.milter.  Watch the log window.  At the slightest hint of an error, kill the sendmail deamon and restart the original one.  Fix any errors and try it again.

You may reject some mail during the transistions but the sending server should retry again in a few minutes/hours.  I've done this same basic process a few times during emergancies but I have 2 servers in my MX record so having 1 down for a few seconds/minutes here and there isn't critical.  Having 2 servers also allows me to do any final testing after I move stuff off my test box.

Randy