[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.19 is released

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Sun Aug 25 08:38:00 EDT 2002

David, so far 2.19 is working very well here.  The syslogs are much
less verbose now about things like "routine" header changes, it
seems to be tweaked just nicely :)  Your READMEs are helpful too
(eg, now running non-root without a hitch).

I thought I'd make some comments about what I did to upgrade to it
from 2.18 on a redhat box.  Hopefully others may find this useful,
feel free to include any of it to the defang documentation if it
comes up to scratch :)

On Fri Aug 23 2002 at 19:02, "David F. Skoll" wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Philip Clever wrote:
>
> > Any special instructions for upgrading from previous versons?
>
> Same as always:
>
> 	./configure
> 	make
> 	# Stop MIMEDefang...
> 	make install
> 	# Restart MIMEDefang...

My server is a redhat 7.3 box, so I did it a little differently than
what is described in most of the docs and web pages.  (This should
also work on rh7.2).

This box is "standard" rh73 (with updates) but using a recent
sendmail 8.12.5 src.rpm package taken from rawhide.  Binary packages
were recompiled from it, which went well with few (if any) problems.
I now have these installed:

$ rpm -qa | grep sendmail
sendmail-8.12.5-1a.73
sendmail-cf-8.12.5-1a.73
sendmail-doc-8.12.5-1a.73
sendmail-devel-8.12.5-1a.73

I had tweaked the .spec file (to enable ssl/starttls and ldap),
which accounts for my custom version number.  The -devel package has
all the libmilter libraries in it for mimedefang to be compiled
with.  The smmsp user is catered for at rpm install time, and the
default init scripts appear to do the right things at startup and
shutdown for sendmail.

After several weeks running with it, I have had no problems at all
with sendmail on this box, it works well despite being taken from
the rawhide beta.  The server itself is busy moving email as an MX
host for local delivery, and an outbound gateway relay.

Compiling and installing mimedefang at this point is now almost
trivial.  After downloading the tarball...

$ rpm -ta --nodeps mimedefang-2.19.tar.gz
$ rpm -Uvh --nodeps /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/mimedefang-2.19-1.i386.rpm

And that's it!  Well, almost... for a new installation, take note of
the output of the rpm install about how to "turn on" mimedefang in
sendmail, and about patching mime-tools.

If I don't use the --nodeps switch (both times!) than I get these
complaints:

error: failed dependencies:
	perl-Digest-SHA1 is needed by mimedefang-2.19-1
	perl-MIME-tools is needed by mimedefang-2.19-1
	perl-IO-stringy is needed by mimedefang-2.19-1
	perl-MailTools is needed by mimedefang-2.19-1

I do have these perl modules installed, but not as rpms.  I could
not find recent rpm versions for them at the time, and I don't mind
(prefer?) using "perl -MCPAN -e shell" to manage what perl modules
are there.

I did need to make small tweaks to cater for the defang user, and
also to the default mimedefang init script... if you need to use the
-U, -t, -s or other switches to mimedefang and/or the multiplexor
then add these yourself.  (There appears to be a need for another
place to specify them as variables that can be set outside the init
script itself, perhaps as an addition to /etc/sysconfig/mimedefang?)

At this point my old filter was still in place and a check of the
changelog showed that it should work unmodified.  And it did.

This is the result of my mimedefang installation:

$ mimedefang.pl -features
HTML::Parser                  : yes
HTMLCleaner                   : yes
Path:CONFDIR                  : yes (/etc/mail)
Path:QUARANTINEDIR            : yes (/var/spool/MD-Quarantine)
Path:SENDMAIL                 : yes (/usr/sbin/sendmail)
Path:SPOOLDIR                 : yes (/var/spool/MIMEDefang)
SpamAssassin                  : yes
Virus:NAI                     : yes (/usr/local/bin/uvscan)
Virus:OpenAV                  : yes
File::Scan                    : no
Virus:AVP                     : no
Virus:CLAMAV                  : no
Virus:FPROT                   : no
Virus:FSAV                    : no
Virus:FileScan                : no
Virus:HBEDV                   : no
Virus:NVCC                    : no
Virus:RAV                     : no
Virus:SOPHIE                  : no
Virus:SOPHOS                  : no
Virus:TREND                   : no

It works well, and the installation is full-featured ready for use.

  (I actually have Virus:FileScan installed too, but it didn't seem
  to notice (or deliberately ignored) that one at build time).

To have all this work so smoothly was a real delight.  Thanks to all.

> --
> David.

Cheers
Tony