[Mimedefang] OT: Sendmail Startup Script

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ansf.alcatel.fr
Fri Aug 23 16:44:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 03:53:24PM -0400, Rich West wrote:

> >>So, I am now running Sendmail, and a queue control process.  But what do I
> >>do in the stop part?
> >>

> >Ugly, isn't it?  The sendmail.org people screwed up; they should start
> IMHO, for simplicity, simply call killproc twice.  You have two
> processes, and killproc kills just one, so call it once for each
> process.  And the following code will do that.  (note that the start
> portion of the init script starts the queue-runner AFTER sendmail is
> started, so the ordering of the killproc in the snippet below kills them
> in the same order)
>

>  stop)
>        # Stop daemons.
>        echo -n "Shutting down sendmail: "
>        killproc sendmail
>        RETVAL=$?
>        echo
>        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/sendmail
>        killproc sendmail
>        RETVAL=$?
>        echo
>        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/sendmail.smmsp
>        ;;

The latest sendmail 8.12.5 RedHat RPM in RawHide provides some good
init script.

In the submit.mc they added :
define(`confPID_FILE', `/var/run/sm-client.pid')dnl

In the stop) init part they put :
stop() {
        # Stop daemons.
        echo -n  "Shutting down %s: " "$prog"
        killproc sendmail
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/sendmail
        if test -f /var/run/sm-client.pid ; then
                echo -n  "Shutting down sm-client: "
                killproc sm-client
                RETVAL=$?
                echo
                [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/run/sm-client.pid
                [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/sm-client
        fi
        return $RETVAL
}

The start part includes :
daemon --check sm-client /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac \
                                $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE)

SL/
---
Stephane Lentz / Alcanet International - Internet Services