[Mimedefang] Using SA's spamd/spamc from MD

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Aug 15 17:04:01 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Justin Shore wrote:

> Howdy all.  I'm trying to figure out how to use SpamAssassin's spamd
> and spamc from MIMEDefang and I'm having some problems.  BTW, I've
> only been using the two for 3 or 4 days now.  I have spamassassin

   Hi Justin, welcome to MIMEDefang.  I'm sort of new to it myself, but
I'll take a stab at this.  You'll find that this list is every bit as
responsive as paid tech support.  It's been a great help to me.

> working with MD right now.  I want to run spamd but to do that I
> think I need to figure out how to make MD use spamc instead of
> spamassassin.  I looked through

   My guess is, since you are going to use the multiplexor there is not a
need to run a daemon to check the spam.  It's all going to get loaded when
the multiplexor starts its slave process, so the cost of load has already
been paid.

> that told me how to actually set up the multiplexor.  Can someone
> point me to this information as well?

   I found that when I did the make install, it put the multiplexor
program in /usr/local/bin for me.  What you want to do is go to the
$md/examples dir and copy the sample init-script to
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang-ctrl then edit it to suit your needs.  Set
MULTIPLEXOR=yes to use the multiplexor, and other values as needed.  Then
just issue the command "mimedefang-ctrl start" and it should start up and
launch the slave processes.  You may also want to put that command in your
sendmail startup file (on my Solaris box, it's /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail) so
that the multiplexor will be launched whenever sendmail is started (and do
it before starting sendmail).

   HTH...

Jim