[Mimedefang] Suggested usage and responability.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Aug 13 11:40:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, McCartin, Dan wrote:

> My boss has asked me to implement content filter based on Key Words
> in an E-Mail message coming or going.  Stuff like Salary and
> Commission and Profanity.

I beseech your boss to reconsider, especially the profanity filters.

Scientists who study beavers, doctors who talk about proctology, and
many others are victims of over-zealous content filters, which are
making e-mail less and less useful.  Please see "E-mail content
filtering may kill the medium" in
http://lists.jammed.com/RISKS/2002/07/0002.html, and show it to your boss.

If your boss is still determined to go ahead, I suggest you use
SpamAssassin and modify its rules files to include your own phrases
and scores.  SpamAssassin already has the infrastructure for scanning
messages for words and phrases; there's no need to reinvent that.