[Mimedefang] What operating system are you running?

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Tue Apr 30 14:38:43 EDT 2002

At 11:59 AM 4/30/2002 -0500, Mickey Hill wrote:
>A mail server survey:
>
>What operating system and version are you running?

AIX 4.3.3 on an IBM B/80, 4 processor, 1 gig of memory,
and lots and lots of RAIDed SSA disks.  But, we are
planning on shifting SMTP services to a cluster of Redhat
Linux 7.2 (or 3) machines.

We run sendmail 8.12, MIMEDefang 2.3.  (Updating on a
live server is tricky enough, that it will likely wait until the
linux cluster is available.)

>How many messages do you process in an average day?

90,000.  About 12% are rejected by sendmail based on
the check_* rules.  The remainder are filtered through
MIMEDefang+Sophos.

We are keeping up with the load, but growth will require
POP and SMTP be separated.

Mike

Michael Sofka                          sofkam at rpi.edu
CCT Sr. Systems Programmer  email, webmail, listproc, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.    http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/