[Mimedefang] MIMEdefang and spamc/spamd

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Tue Apr 30 11:02:01 EDT 2002

On 30 Apr 2002 at 9:35, Adam Beatham wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has found a way to have mimedefang use spamc/spamd,
> rather than spamassassin itself.   I have a rather *cough* slow system, so
> having it run both mimedefang and spamassassin is not desirable.   Any
> ideas would be greatly welcomed..

There's currently no way to have mimedefang use spamc/spamd.
However, mimedefang is written (mostly) in Perl, and makes use of the
Mail::SpamAssassin Perl module rather than calling a separate
instance of spamassassin.  Additionally, the mimedefang-multiplexor
pre-loads a number of mimedefang processes which handle simultaneous
messages in a fairly efficient manner.  This also eliminates the
resource impact of starting a new Perl process for every incoming
message.

When writing your mimedefang-filter, you should probably set up a
size check on e-mail prior to SA processing.  Most spam isn't very
large, so you can safely bypass SA checking for messages over 50K or
so.

What kind of hardware do you have, and how much mail traffic do you
see?  You may find that even quite modest resources are sufficient to
handle both MIMEDefang and SpamAssassin, depending on load.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.