[Mimedefang] Was the patch supposed to catch this?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Apr 26 15:41:40 EDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:21:07 -0400 "Michael D. Sofka" <sofkam at rpi.edu> wrote:

> A message was sent from an aol machine to an aliases at RPI. The
> sender was to be from another alias at rpi.edu. The message was rejected
> because it contained Klez. So far, so good. Then, the AOL mailer sent
> the rejection notice to the forged sender, and it passed
> inspection.

That's because of this little chunk:

--OAB23409.1019845640/rly-ip02.mx.aol.com

... etc.

Notice the blank line between the Content-Type and the remaining
headers?  Thank you, AOL mailer.  That screws up MIME-Tools
completely.  It won't look inside because it doesn't see a
fix this, I'll break something else, because in some cases, it is
*wrong* to treat rfc822 parts as nested MIME messages, and doing so
lets other viruses through.  See:

http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2002-February/000501.html

for the thread which prompted the original rfc822 patch.

Fixing this would require a fairly major overhaul of MIME-Tools.  I'm
not the author of MIME-Tools, but I'm becoming more familiar with
it every day. :-)

Alternatively, ask AOL to fix their mailer... :-)