[Mimedefang] Problem with From Address????

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Apr 24 13:41:11 EDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Albert E. Whale wrote:

> I have attached a Message which I am getting from MimeDefang.
> MimeDefang indicates that the sender was '<ldye at thecommandgroup.com>'.
> The Headers indicate that the message was sent by
> From: ert <ert at highmark.com>
> What is going on here?

MIMEDefang sets $Sender to the *envelope* sender; that is, the
address passed in the "MAIL FROM:" SMTP command.  This value may
not be the same as in the From: header.

It's easy to fake the MAIL FROM: sender address.  It's also easy to
fake the From: e-mail header.  Neither should be trusted, and they
don't necessarily agree.