[Mimedefang] Help

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Apr 22 10:16:48 EDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Zhang Lin-bo wrote:

> 1) Attachments whose name contains multi-byte characters
>    (such as Chinesei characters[B)
> 2) Attachments whose name contains certain special chars,
>    e.g.: applet[1].pif

I have verified that both of these are problems.  The reason is that
the MIME is malformed.  A name such as applet[1].pif should be enclosed
in quotation marks like this: "applet[1].pif".  Also, multi-byte
characters should be encoded using a proper MIME encoding.

Unfortunately, it is difficult (if not impossible) to get MIMEDefang
to "correctly" interpret invalid MIME, because there's no guarantee
e-mail clients will interpret it the same way.  This problem was
discussed at some length on Bugtraq:

http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/255910
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/256616