[Mimedefang] RAM disk

Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be
Wed Apr 17 02:51:17 EDT 2002

Just like you, I think the uvscan is the big bottleneck.
Indeed, a virusscanner daemon or the recently implemented File::Scan might
solve this, but the number of known virusses should be acceptable!

I've got +-3000 users (mostly LAN-users) and my mailserver is processing
+-20000 messages/day. Each mail is being scanned with uvscan, and
during the busy periods, my hardware is VERY busy...

Karel

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Jason Englander wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the announcement of MD 2.7, I found the following item :
>
> David is the man for adding that.  I started to, then I got side
> tracked for about a month ;-)  (and I can only hack c, I can't write it
> <g>)
>
> > Has anyone tried such a RAM disk for the spooling ? What was the result?
>
> It helps lots on very high traffic machines.  Don't have to deal with the
> disk I/O.
>
> I still help out an ISP I used to work for, they have about 6k customers,
> most are dialup, and right now all mail coming and going goes through one
> box with MD.  Way back when the original amavis (uses external binaries
> for everything) could just barely keep up, then every few days it would
> get backed up to the point of no return.  amavis-perl was better,
> but still got backed up, amavisd (milter) was still better, but MD +
> multiplexor is doing great (and you get a nearly unlimited number of
> other features with it).  The ramdisk is the clincher really.  If we
> dump NAI's uvscan in favor of something like openantivirus'
> scannerdaemon (but with MANY more virus signatures like NAI's or RAV),
> it would probably fly through them like it was bored.  Even so, the load
> average is 0.68 right now...  I think that box has a gig of ram and two
> P3s (1Ghz I think).  The original MD installation had quarantine and
> spool files going into the ramdisk, but of course if the box died all of
> the qdirs are gone.
>
>   Jason

Karel De Bruyne
System/Network Manager                      phone      + 32 3 820 22 04
UIA - Network Service                       fax        + 32 71 83 43 00
Universiteitsplein 1 - B0.12                email  dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
B 2610 Wilrijk - Belgium              http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/dbruyne