[Mimedefang] Lists?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Dec 14 14:46:22 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     Another question: what about mailing lists?  Some of them set the
> $sender as the mailing list address, so if MDefang happens to encounter
> a virus and sends back a notification...where does it go?  Back to the
> list (where everyone else gets spammed as well?)  Or back to the
> list-owner, or the actual sender of the message?

$Sender is set to the address in the SMTP "MAIL FROM:" command.  This
is almost never set to the list address; otherwise, error notifications
and the like would be bounced to every list member.  $Sender is
specifically *not* taken from a From:, Sender: or Reply-To: header in
the message.  So it is most likely safe to send a notification without
spamming every list member.

Whether $Sender is set to the list owner or the actual poster of the
message depends on how the mailing list is set up.  This list, for
example, uses "mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com" as $Sender.

In general, I do not like notifications.  My policy is simply to
bounce any messages containing attachments I don't like.  I include an
explanatory code in the SMTP failure message.  (Try e-mailing me an
.exe to see what I mean.)