[Mimedefang] filter example for virus scanners

Steve Ladendorf sladendorf at blakeschool.org
Fri Dec 7 11:31:24 EST 2001

mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com writes:
>Is there anyone willing to share example filters for use with the
>Kaspersky anti virus scanner for Linux.  It must just be because it is
>Friday but I'm having some conceptual problems understanding how the
>attachment is scanned and result codes passed back to MIMEDefang for
>disposition.  What happens if the virus can't be cleaned?  How can I
>configure an alert so the MIMEDefang administrator, sender and receiver is
>alerted of viruses (cleaned or uncleaned)?  It seems like for all this to
>happen the AVPDeamon should not be used and a command line scanner used
>instead.

Hate to reply to my own message but the answer was Read The Flipping
Manual!  Didn't notice that the high risk filter example was the push I
needed (and a healthy does of sugar+caffeine).

It looks like the virus filter only quarantines the infected file and does
not try to clean it.  Am I correct in that assumption?  The AvpLinux
option -I0 seems to say "Infected Action, Report Only" - AVP documentation
of command line options seems a bit different than what the actual
AvpLinux app reports with --help??  Has anyone written a filter that
attempts to clean the file and pass it along?  Seems like an if, elseif
comparison of the AvpLinux result code would be possible.

Steve Ladendorf
    Network Manager
sladendorf at blakeschool.org                                        The
Blake School
"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by".
  --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)