[Mimedefang] unable to send email.

amadill at hwy16.com amadill at hwy16.com
Thu Dec 6 15:13:37 EST 2001

> > I have setup mimedefang to filter out attachments only.  I do not have a
> > virus scanner setup on the system, and I am not running the multiplexor
> > version of mimedefang.  When sendmail and mimedefang start, I'm able to
> > send an email from offsite with one of the selected extentsion types, and
> > it filters it out, however, if I try to send an email from the local
> > domain, it errors back with "451 4.7.1 Please try again later".
>
> Are you running 2.2?  We'd have to see your filter and/or some mail
> logs to understand what's happening.

I was running into this problem and it was solved by changing the
timeout values in sendmail.cf

Xmimedefang, S=unix:/var/run/mimedefang.sock, F=T,
T=S:300s;R:300s;E:5m

I think what was happening is I didn't change the values for
administrator and daemon-address to a valid domain and it was
timing out while sendmail was doing an IDENT.  mimedefang.pl
spawns a sendmail process and waits for it to exit.  sendmail was
either trying to resolve the bogus domain or do an ident.  Each
sendmail process would do this in turn if there were multiple
messages.  timeout.