[Mimedefang] Virus Scanners

amadill at hwy16.com amadill at hwy16.com
Wed Dec 5 11:34:17 EST 2001

> Can I ask you for a copy of that script?

There is both a shell script and a perl script in the unxadmin.pdf
files distributed with the NAI Linux scanner distribution that work
very well.  I'm using the perl script.  (BTW, it requires the Net::FTP
perl module which is not a separate item on CPAN but is part of
the latest libnet-1.09 package)

> I'm passing them, via a ~/.procmailrc recipe, into a perl script
> that is parsing them, extracting the details of the incident, and
> putting it into a database.  Then I can run cron jobs to query the
> database once or twice a day to inform me with a report in a single
> email with summaries of what has happened.  (I also want to
> generate notification emails to internal clients who are sending
> viruses to let them know about it).

That would be a valuable resource if it was available.  Which
database, MySQL?

> Releases to the scanning engine are few and far between.  The
> windows-based engine is now at 4.1.60, while the unix-based uvscan
> engine has been at v4.1.40 since last april.

There is a beta version of the 4.1.50 engine for unix available at
http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/beta/products/4150-intro.asp .
It has the same "Evaluation" message that the trial versions give
you but that can be "fixed" with...
if ( index($VirusScannerMessages,"Thank") ) {
     $VirusScannerMessages = substr($VirusScannerMessages, 0,
		index($VirusScannerMessages,"Thank"));
}
in your mimedefang-filter.