[Mimedefang] New virus out, how do I confirm no errors?

Fox, Randy Randy_Fox at csgsystems.com
Wed Dec 5 10:19:47 EST 2001

>1) Is there any way mail could come in and bypass the MIMEDefang server?
>Since they all have the X-Scanned-By: header, that's unlikely, but it
>may be possible.

We looked at this but haven't seen how this is possible.  The user isn't
popping off the Internet and the messages have a received by headers that
show internal server names.

>2) Do any of the failed messages have an X-MIMEDefang-Warning: header?

I haven't found any.

>3) Can you post your filter code?  Maybe there's something wrong there.

The filter is a variant of the supplied minimal-windows filter, here's the
actual filter sub-routine:

$Stupidity{"flatten"} = 0;
$Stupidity{"NoMultipleInlines"} = 1;

sub filter {
    my($entity, $fname, $ext, $type) = @_;

# CNS's filter/reponse as of 11/19/2001 -- R. Fox
    if (re_match_ext($entity,
'^\.(exe|com|bat|bas|vbs|scr|dll|vxd|pif|reg|lnk|ini)$')) {
        unless ($Sender !~ /<>/) {            # don't respond to
auto-replies
                if ($Sender =~ /csgsys/i) {   # send employees link to
Intranet.
                        action_notify_sender("The attachment '$fname' was
deleted.  We do not\n" .
                                "accept attachments of type '$ext'.\n\n" .
                                "For information on CSG's attachment policy,
go to CORE and see the e-mail\n" .
                                "usage policy, $CSGEMailPolicy.\n");
                } else {                      # send outsiders notice of
attachment deletion.
                        action_notify_sender("The attachment '$fname' was
deleted.  We do not\n" .
                                "accept attachments of type '$ext'.\n");
                }
        }

        my($recip) = @Recipients;
        if (($recip =~ /csgsys/i) && ($Sender !~ /csgsys/)) {  # send
employees link to Intranet and to ftp servers.
                return action_quarantine($entity, "An attachment named
$fname was removed from this document as it\n" .
                        "constituted a security hazard.  If you require this
document, please contact\n" .
                        "the sender and arrange an alternate means of
receiving it\n" .
                        "such as the anonymous ftp server
ftp://ftp.csgsystems.com.\n\n" .
                        "For information on CSG's attachment policy, go to
CORE and see the e-mail\n" .
                        "usage policy, $CSGEMailPolicy\n");
        } else {                                               # send
outsiders notice that attachment deleted.
                return action_quarantine($entity, "An attachment named
$fname was removed from this document as it\n" .
                        "constituted a security hazard.  If you require this
document, please contact\n" .
                        "the sender and arrange an alternate means of
receiving it.\n");
        }
    }

# accept all other attachments
    return action_accept();
}

>4) Could you post the headers and MIME part headers for a message which
failed?

Here's an entire header......