[Mimedefang] Perl problems with Mimedefang 2.1 on Solaris 6 : Perl process did not finish

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Dec 3 07:15:17 EST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Stephane Lentz wrote:

> Dec  3 11:58:10 nsfws5 sendmail[28703]: fB3Aw9gA028703: Milter add:
> header: X-MIMEDefang-Warning: Perl process did not finish

This almost always means a run-time error in Perl.  It's hard to track
these down.  Try killing all the Perl processes and tracing the multiplexor
process.  On Linux, it's something like:

	strace -f -s 132 -p pid > /tmp/TRACE.OUT 2>&1 &

where "pid" is the process-ID of the multiplexor.  On Solaris, you'd
use "truss".  Then send a test piece of e-mail.  You should see the Perl
process emitting an error message, which will help you track it down.

> I have also another problem : when I kill and restart mimedefang
> and then sendmail I have to wait before connections are accepted
> (for a couple of minutes I get : 451 4.7.1 Please try again later).

You need to kill the multiplexor, the mimedefang process, and sendmail.
You may be forgetting to kill something.